I have always been a fan of Latin cuisine. I love spicy foods and I have heard that capsaicin, the heat component in chilies, may boost your metabolism. So I decided to make a fish taco recipe that isn’t just fish and salsa. I made a chipotle pineapple sauce for the top and made some jalapeno bacon black beans to go with it.
Here’s what you need:
- one package of frozen tilapia fillets, thawed
- cajun seasoning
- diced pinapple
- one small can of chipotle in adobo sauce
- queso fresco cheese
- taco sized corn tortillas
- one can of black beans
- thick sliced bacon
- one lime
- light sour cream
- iceberg lettuce
- jalapeno powder or diced jalapenos
- 1 Tbsp of fresh cilantro
A couple of notes before I get into the instructions. Make the sauce ahead of time that way the flavors will blend better. When using canned beans always rinse them before using. It will take all of the starchy liquid off of them and give you a better consistency. Ok so here we go!
To make the sauce you’ll need either a food processor or something like a nutri bullet or ninja type machine.
- Combine one half chipotle pepper and a 1/2 tsp of sauce with about 1/4 cup diced pineapple and juice. Add the cilantro and blend.
- In a small sauce pan brown your diced bacon. Add the black beans and enough water to cover. Sprinkle or add 1 tsp of the jalapeno powder or some of the diced. simmer until the beans are tender.
- Cover one side of the tilapia liberally with the cajun seasoning.
- Heat a nonstick skillet with a little vegetable oil. Add the tilapia seasoned side down and leave until it creates a crust. Flip and cook until fish is done.
- Heat the tortillas either in the microwave or in a pan.
- Put the shredded iceberg lettuce, shredded fish, crumbled queso fresco, pineapple sauce, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Squeeze some fresh lime juice on top right before you eat them.
I hope you enjoy these the whole meal shown in the picture was 390 calories. Please let me know what you thought of this meal. I also love hearing how you change it up and make it your own.