There is nothing I like more than a big juicy burger. However, those can be filled with fat and calories. I am not saying never have a burger again, but it’s good once in a while to go meatless for dinner. This recipe would be perfect for a weeknight dinner because it is relatively quick to prepare. I could have used a scratch made black bean burger recipe, but like I said I wanted quick and easy. So the store bought patties were perfect. Here we go!
What you’ll need:
- One Morningstar (or another brand) spicy black bean burger patty
- 1/2 thinly sliced sweet onion
- One slice of swiss cheese ( I used and ultra thin 40 calorie brand)
- 2 slices of marble rye (or any type of bread)
- 1 Tbsp of mayonnaise ( I use Dukes because it’s my favorite)
- One large red potato cut in wedges
- 2 Tbsp margarine (one for the onions and one for the potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees
- Melt 1 Tbsp of the margarine and pour over the potato wedges in a bowl
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and cornmeal on the potatoes while tossing
- Lay the potatoes flat on a foil lined sheet pan
- Bake for 45 minutes turning once half way through
- Melt 1 Tbsp of margarine in a small skillet and add onions turn on medium low heat
- sprinkle a little salt over the onions to help them soften. Cook until they are soft and take off heat
- Thaw the burger patty in the microwave for one minute and then transfer to another skillet on medium heat.
- Cook the patty until it is hot throughout
- Top with the onions and swiss and let the cheese melt
- Put the patty between the marble rye and spread a thin layer of the mayo on the outside of the sandwich.
- Put back into the skillet to brown the bread like a grilled cheese
- Slice patty melt in half and enjoy
I use mayo on my grilled cheese sandwiches (and these) because I like how it browns and tastes. You can easily use more margarine if you choose.
I also always have a tossed salad with my meal (not pictured but added into the calorie count for the meal). You always need your vegetables! With the tossed salad this meal adds up to 646 calories.
If you have a recipe for a from scratch veggie burgers send them along to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will pass them along to the other readers.