As many of you know I am a chef in real life. However, as many chefs will tell you after cooking all day the last thing we like to do is cook at home. Problem is fast food and eating out has got me into this situation. I am not saying to never eat out, but make it a treat and not the norm. So I have been coming up with new things to eat that are both satisfying and healthy.
One thing I love is Caribbean food. I love the spicy sweet mixture. There is nothing I like more than making my own jerk marinade and letting chicken swim in it for a day and grilling it outside. Well, problem with that is it was 5pm and 15 degrees outside so I took a few shortcuts. I came up with a jerk marinated chicken breast on a bed of rice pilaf and a carrot pineapple slaw.
What you’ll need:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- Maragaritaville (or another brand) Jerk Marinade
- Long Grain Rice (1/4 cup dry rice per serving)
- Shredded Carrots
- Fresh Diced Pineapple (get the peeled at the store it’s much easier)
- Fresh Lime Juice (1 lime)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro roughly chopped (dried will work just use half as much)
- Olive Oil (not extra virgin)
- Marinate the chicken breast with the store bought marinade
- In a bowl combine the diced pineapple, lime juice, and cilantro
- while whisking slowly drizzle enough olive oil to thicken the liquid probably around 3 Tbsp.
- Add carrots to the slaw mixture, cover and leave in fridge until serving.
- Make the rice according to instructions. Put some of the bottled marinade or pineapple juice into the rice water for more flavor.
- I used a grill pan on top of the stove to cook the chicken, but you can use a skillet, or bake in the oven. Make sure the internal temperature is 165 degrees F
- Plate by putting the chicken breast on the bed of rice. Stir slaw in the bowl and put on top of the Chicken.
I really liked the cold slaw on the hot chicken it gave it nice balance. I would have liked a little more heat from spice. When I make my jerk I add habenero peppers to it. Next time I would add some red pepper flakes or diced chiles to the marinade. This whole meal per serving according to my app was 341 calories. I was very full and satisfied after this as well.
I hope you enjoy this and if you try it let me know if you liked it, didn’t like it, or added anything to enhance it. Keith@enchantedtikitalk.com